Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Aunt Vern's Blood Stew (Dinuguan)


I never liked this dish... until I tasted my Aunt Vern's recipe when I visited her in New Jersey 15 years ago. It was her secret ingredient --balsamic vinegar, that got me hooked into craving this dish for more, and now I am proud to share you part of her legacy!


Ingredients:
  1 lb. pork butt, chopped
  1/2 lb. pork innards, chopped
  1/4 lb. pork blood
  2-3 links of pork blood sausages, chopped
  3 cloves minced garlic
  1 cup balsamic vinegar
  5 green chile peppers
  1-1/2 tblspns brown sugar
  1 cup water
  1 large onion, diced


Using a deep pan, saute onions and garlic for 2 minutes. Put in meat, innards and sausages and stir until meat is cooked or until oil oozes from the meat. 


Add 1 cup water and pork blood and bring to a boil. Add the brown sugar and peppers and simmer for an hour or until the meat is tender. Add salt and pepper and the balsamic vinegar until the desired taste and simmer for 15 minutes and serve. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment